We provide templates in a variety of formats, and the files can be used with the image editing programs listed below:
- Component Studio - Recommended - This is the best way to assemble your component images for The Game Crafter. It also allows you to export your images directly to a game in The Game Crafter.
- Illustrator - Recommended - This is currently the world's most popular vector editing program. It is extremely powerful and comes with a steep price tag as a result, but serious designers should own a copy. It is available for Mac and Windows.
- Photoshop - Recommended - This is the industry standard application for editing images. It has a high price tag, but if you're a serious designer you should have this. It is available for Mac and Windows.
- Inkscape - Recommended - A free and powerful alternative to Adobe Illustrator. It edits SVG files, and is great for creating high resolution line drawings and other vector based artwork.
- GIMP - Recommended - The GIMP is a free open source image editor. It has similar features as Photoshop and is available for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Pixelmator - Probably the best image editor available on Mac. Not quite as powerful as Photoshop, but much easier to use, faster, and much less expensive.
- Paint.net - A free, powerful, and easy to use image editor for Windows. Not a replacement for Photoshop, but quite capable, and may be enough for your needs.
- Paint Shop Pro - PSP can give Photoshop a real run for its money on features. It has almost every feature you'd find in Photoshop, but for less than half the price. It is only available for Windows.